St. Enodoc Golf Club - The Rock Record

During our 125th Anniversary celebrations in the Summer some of the Rock Records were on display for Members to read. Since then Peter Bendall and Stuart Morley have collated all the diary together and it is now bound in an easily read book which is available in the Clubhouse for Members to browse at their leisure. It is filled with not only the records of the Club but a wonderful insight into the social lives of the Club's Founding Fathers.

This diary was kept by Robert Washington Dana. It also includes other entries mainly from his friend Reginald Rowe (later Sir Reginald). Robert Dana, who it is believed was an American citizen, was a naval architect, which was probably the reason he came to the area in the first place. Reginald Rowe was a barrister. Both men played a very significant role in the development of the club in it's early days.

They first holidayed in Rock with other friends in 1897, which is when the diary starts. They soon became members of St. Enodoc, and were possibly the first country and subsequently holiday house members. Their influence on the club was almost immediate in that Reginald Rowe became Captain in 1901 and remained so until the outbreak of the First World War. Robert Dana also became Treasurer in 1901, and served for many years before becoming Captain between 1920 and 1922.

Their periods in office covered some of the most significant events in the club's history; the appointment of James Braid to re-design the course, the building of the first club house and dealing with effects of the war. The diary contains very entertaining details of their boisterous holidays in Rock and newspaper cuttings relating to the golf club and life in the area at that time. The diary ceases in 1912 and is replaced by the second diary, Cockmoyle. This is named after Robert Dana's holiday and later retirement house. The house still exists and is sited nearly opposite the Rock Institute.