St. Enodoc Golf Club - The Frank Wills Team go down in gale force winds

The Frank Wills Team go down in gale force winds

For a match that the Cornish Guardian had previewed as being “Mouthwatering” what took place on Saturday 1st February was more “eyewatering” with an average wind speed of over 30 mph with gust up to 55 mph; we were in for a day of what can only be described as survival golf. We were lucky however on 2 counts, firstly it was Match Play and so the same for both teams on the ever forgiving open Trevose course and secondly we actually suffered with remarkably few squally showers on a day that the forecasters had promised plenty.

First out were Kevin Brenton and John Pease up against Martin Trewhella and Greg Taylor, things were looking good with our boys 3 up and 4 to play but the wheels wobbled and they were pegged back to Dormie 1 on the last tee. Thankfully they hung on for half on the last to win the first match1 up. The second pair of John Paul and Rich Matheron had a much more torrid time being at one stage 5 down against David O\'Mahony and Bob Cope. They fought back to 3 down but holes ran out and they went down fighting 3 & 2.

Kevin Brenton putting on the 14th

So at this stage the match was 1 - 1 and the third game looked crucial with the 2 Richs, Hawken and Lawrence up against Justin Harrington and Mike Eddy. They started in their usual flamboyant way being 3 down after 3 but were All Square after 10 holes. The match remained close and was All Square on the 17th which proved crucial and after a cracking drive from Farmer Hawken a mistake by Heating Engineer Lawrence saw the ball in the water. Only a terrific putt even so denied them a half, so they went up the 18th 1 down. Both teams played great tee shots and superb seconds. Neither side got the first putt to within 8 feet of the hole, Rich Hawken putted first and he rammed the ball straight into the centre of the cup - brilliant. The Tehidy putt was the equal of it - hole halved match lost but what a great finish.

After some very slow play in the last 2 matches and judicious overtaking on the 12th next on the course were Keith Hawke and Jake Sanders who were up against the strong pairing of Ryan Curnow and Ryan Reed. Under the circumstances the weather conditions played into the hands of the more experienced pair and despite receiving 4 shots our boys went down 3 & 2. What became the last match on the course between Dan Witts and Sam Jarvis up against Martin Churchill and Tom Chapman did not start well as Dan and Sam were at one stage 3 down. They fought back valiantly and were all square on the 14th at which point the overall match was decided and a half was called, giving Tehidy a thoroughly well deserved 3 ½ – 1 ½ win.

Well done to both sides for playing at all in such dire winds and performing so well. Well done also to the small but hardy band of spectators who supported the team even though most of them watched from those spots providing some semblance of protection from the fierce and gusting wind; I never knew there were any bushes at Trevose – well there are. Why is it of our 3 teams it is always the Wills side that has to battle away in dreadful weather. Well done Bob Cruse who over the last 2 years has captained what has been a very happy and successful team, a credit to themselves and the Club and as a result it has been my real pleasure to report on all their matches this year despite being frozen to death and drenched each time.