After a close home result, leaving the Old Saints with a slim one-point lead in the hunt to retain the Shield, the old boys met again at Launceston on August 20th with some trepidation. The weather, after such a good Summer, proved less than delightful, with on and off "mizzle" during the match, but the course was in great shape with, unusually for this year, grass from which to play from.
The lack of practice on this unfamiliar surface was a good excuse for the rather lamentable result with the team going down 5 1/2 to 2 1/2 thus losing the Shield by 9 points to 7.
This led to great celebrations by the home team but, have no doubt, we will be back in 2019. At least, Captain of the day Geoff, will not need to be reminded to take the trophy next year!
1. Geoff Matthews & Steve Smith lost 3 and 2
2. David Ramsbottom and Kevin Birkett lost 4 and 3
3. Nigel Thomas and Kevin Burton won 1 up
4. Neal Jolly Stuart & Sandercock lost 3 and 2
5. Keith Willmott and Roger Priestley lost 7 and 6
6. Mike Maberly and Paul Godfrey halved
7. Bill Gowans and Ken Metcalf won 1 up
Match: 5 ½ to 2 ½
Overall: 9 to 7
Nearest the pin: Roger Priestley