St. Enodoc Golf Club - A Resounding Wills Semi-Final Win

A Resounding Wills Semi-Final Win

Our Wills team always seem to have to play heroic golf in dreadful conditions and the Semi-Final win 3 1/2 to 1/2 against Perranporth at Trevose on 31st January was no exception; for those brave souls present again this year it was déjà vu of last year\'s Semi which was lost against Tehidy. The big difference was that this year we were rewarded with a magnificent win to book a place in the Final.

A temperature of 6 degrees sounds fine, and only a couple of light showers also not too bad but the real killer was the north westerly wind which averaged well over 30 mph with gusts of almost 50 mph. Not only did the wind chill go straight through you but it made judgement of distance very hard and putting a real nightmare. Not for reasons of bad sportsmanship but purely the difficulty of getting the little white ball into the hole have so few putts ever been conceded.

First out were the usual pathfinders Kevin Brenton and John Pease who romped away into the distance to record an excellent 5 & 4 win over Martin Cleverly and Paul Matthews. Last out but the second match to finish was Keith Hawke and Sam Jarvis who despite losing a ball Out of Bounds on the 1st and 2nd holes then proceeded to win 8, yes eight, holes on the trot which included Sam driving the green on the Par 4 7th and an Eagle 3 on the Par 5 9th. With a display like that needless to say they overcame their opponents Dan Hawkey and Matt Dowson by an easy 8 & 6.

2 wins in the bag but then things got much closer and we knew we required one more win and it looked as if we would need to look to the Chuckle Brothers, Rich Hawken and Rich Lawrence who can always be relied upon, as good street fighters, to get it as at that time we were down in the other 2 matches. Paul Dingle and Mike Masters, still smarting from their previous match, were 2 down with 4 to play then promptly won 15 and 16 to get back to all square. The last 2 holes were tense but steady play up 18 saw them win their match with an excellent Par 4 which secured the overall match. Meanwhile Dave Flew and Russell Combellack, heroes of the last round had a disappointing day and went down 3 & 2 to Gerry Whitely and Paul Wilkes. Meanwhile the two Richs, who had been 3 up and 4 to play, were pegged back to just 1 coming up 18 by Scott Powell ansd Simon Wordley by which time the tie was safe and the atmosphere was so relaxed that a multitude of putts resulted in their match being halved. So a win 3 ½ to 1 ½ saw us through into the Final but all credit to the Perranporth boys as well who played their hearts out in the freezing wind.

There is no doubt that for the third year in succession we have a very strong Wills team for which credit must go to Captain Bob Cruse who has had some very difficult decisions to make over who to pick and more to the point who to leave out of the side each match. He has got an excellent team spirit going among the players and as a result they have responded and played some really very determined, high quality golf more often than not in dreadful weather. Roll on the Final, we will know shortly who our opponents will be, where and when; I am sure we will approach the match in the same professional workmanlike manner that has served St Enodoc so well in the last 3 years. Really well done yet again boys and good luck for the Final.